So, being in an environmental studies program (at least for the next day, then I graduate!) we talk about all sorts of things environmental. Some of it is rather mundane, such as conserving energy (which most of us have learned), to rather interesting ones such as carbon credits.
Carbon credits are a newer system for controlling air pollution. There are only a set amount of credits for every business in the whole world, and every business was originally alloted a certain number of credits which allow them to emit carbon up to the credits that they own (so relate it to a gift certificate, and you can only spend what you have on the card. Same deal). However, if you're an environmentally concious business, such as New Belguim Brewery, then you may not need all those carbon credits and can sell them. Carbon credits are traded much like shares on a stock market, and there will never be any more carbon credits than there are right now. As there are more businesses every year, you can see how their value is going up.
How effective will this be in controllling pollution worldwide? I have no idea, because if I were a large corporate company set out on making money; I simply wouldn't play the game. But. . .it's an interesting gift idea that was on my wish list. Should you have someone on your gift list that you may not particularly love, buy them a carbon credit and stuff it in their stocking. You're helping the environment, and it's a coal by-product. Too clever by half!
12.13.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That sounds like a plan.
ReplyDeleteWe could also use the same idea for fart credits couldn't we? That seems like win win as well. If you don't plan on passing gas on a given day you could sell your credits to someone who, I don't know, ate beans that day. The seller would have some extra cash, and the buyer after ripping a loud one could yell at the gaping, gasping crowd "Hey mind your own business. I paid for that!" Wow, think of the freedom.
Sorry if I trivialized your issue.
ReplyDeleteAh, say Christa, we are on the verge of selling Carbon credits on the Austrialian market. Ask me about it some time. Melissa and I started this about three years ago.
ReplyDeleteRalph
Hey Christa!
ReplyDeleteI love this carbon credit thing, and uj has a point with the other kind of credits and God knows that if the fart credits where in play when I had the "issue" man I would be in major debt and the rest of the world would be in some major pain.