11.06.2007

Something strange here?

I was wandering through Barnes and Noble this evening, and this lime-green display of books caught my eye. Then I did a double-take as I saw the advertising:

"Inspired by....The Bible Experience Companion Bible"

Wow.
Now, I'm not sure just how many Bibles you may need to have an experience...but if you're already moving on to a companion, after reading something inspired by the 'Bible Experience'....well - good for you I suppose, but it sounds very convoluted. No doubt it's changed lives and yadda yadda yadda...but c'mon people - just how dumb do we as Americans need to be treated before we start catching idiocies like this? Let me spell it out for you:



There is a bible.


You can gain knowledge from it, and some people have had spiritual experiences from it.


There is no companion bible to the bible. Sorry - it doesn't get any simpler than cracking it open and reading it. Perhaps you will have an experience, perhaps not.
And in case you don't belive me:




4 comments:

  1. Good post Christa. But I have to tell you (and you know I will) The Bible Experience Campanion Bible is the most stupid thing I have heard of - today. Yesterday it was fish - don't get me started down that road.
    It is this simple:
    This is the Bible.
    Crack!
    This is your future if you ignore it.
    Questions?
    It's all an attempt to empty people wallets.
    But I have to know - did you buy one?
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new favorite bible is ...The Breast Cancer Bible. You can see it right away. It is the bright pink cover with a ribbon on it. I actually saw it at the store on Saturday.

    I can't wait for the AIDS Bible to come out. I wonder who will buy it. Even better, I wonder who would bring it to church?

    Spirituality co-opted by marketing. Ahh, the American way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like a companion bible for my Unix bible please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:32 AM

    I think this is a companion bible to the Bible Experience which is an audiobible. I think it makes perfectly good sense than an audiobible has a book you can follow along with. Hence the name, companion bible.

    ReplyDelete